Thursday, December 31, 2009

Year in Review

As another year closes, I find myself reflecting back. This year was one for the memory books and might be the craziest I have had in a long time. I started out the year with tons of inspiration and energy for life and now, at the end, I find myself totally exhausted and ready to hibernate awhile. All in all, it was an extremely successful year that brought many life lessons, gifts, challenges, and new opportunities all wrapped up together. Every time we were faced with a hardship we also given something to be thankful for.

If you have followed my blog over the year, you may remember this post where I set my goals for the year. Although I didn't get as much accomplished as originally planned, I still feel a sense of reward for the first half of the year when I overindulged myself on projects. If I had properly documented the second half of the year it would probably prove to be just as fulfilling as the first half but in a different perspective.

Some of the things that I did accomplish this year were as follows:

1. Almost finished Jordyn's scrapbook and tried a few new electronic variations. It will be a work in progress for awhile, but it is almost complete versus barely started.
2. Took 4 photography classes last spring and drastically improved my skills. Hopefully I will take at least one next spring and finish my certification next year from TCC. Even shot my first wedding!
3. Successfully started a book club! I think we are on month 6 and the women who have stuck with it are amazing! We are having a blast and definitely expanding our reading horizons.
4. Spent about a month "cleaning" (which really translates to turing my house upside down and completely reorganizing everything!) and preparing the nursery for our little man. And now I get to do it all again when the packing begins!

Some of the things that I didn't do this year that I really hoped to try will be on the top of my list for next year. Those include:

1. Learning to sew. Start simple, but hopefully get steady enough to sew a few things for my kids.
2. Cooking! I already try new recipes every now and then but I would love to master some new skills. I am horrible at baking!
3. Gardening (this one may be hard next year because our new house probably won't be done until mid-summer) but I'm still going to keep it on the list for motivation.
4. Finding a church family to join.
5. DIY - find the deeply hidden "crafty" genes that surely I must have and use them! I need to do more handmade projects.

Oh, and raise two kids, doesn't that count as something too? Not that I don't soak up every minute I have with my kids, but some days it is all I can do just to make it through the day. I look forward to really living in the moment this year and enjoying every second. (Even those seconds when my daughter is screaming on the potty and I am a ready to drop an F-bomb!)

I'm ready for a new decade! Can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for us!

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Carissa said...

You are wonder woman girl! Doing all that you do AND working full-time AND raising two babies. Oh AND you are an amazing friend and I feel blessed to have you in my life. Happy 2009!!!

Jordan said...

Just wanted to let you know that we love our church, First Baptist Tulsa (downtown)....I've also heard of alot of people who like the Chuch at BattleCreek. But they are both big churches. Congrats on your accomplishments for the year. I never set goals b/c I know I won't meet them, hah!