About 7 months ago I posted a blog titled "Inspired." If you haven't read it previously, or just need a refresher, please click here. Looking back to when I wrote that I can remember my life being especially crazy. Kristin graduated from college in Austin, Texas, we had a house-warming party at our lakehouse on Memorial Day weekend, we went to Cabo, Mexico for my mom's 50th birthday, and went to New Orleans for a lifelong friend's (Elisabeth's) wedding in New Orleans. All in about a months time span with a 9 month old baby!
I can't remember the exact moment that I realized it was just too much. I had hit a wall from being overwhelmed and needed a break. I started forming a list of the things that brought happiness to my life and pondered how I could focus on those things more. As a result of that, I blogged about it. I had no intention of inspiring anyone but myself, but something I said touched at least one person. That person will remain nameless (it's not too hard to figure out), but after a 4 or 5 months I received this email:
Hey, I just wanted to thank you....several months ago you posted on your blog about expanding your reading horizons, and I said your posted motivated me to do the same. Well, I'm happy to report that I have read SEVERAL books so far and just wanted to thank u for helping me get my love of reading back. :o) You never know when you'll "light a fire under someone".
Wow! I was shocked after I read that email to say the least. I had no idea that I could effect someone so positively just through words. The best way to describe the high that I got from that email is by comparing it to the feeling you get from doing unselfish acts for others. Now I am addicted. I want to inspire, challenge, and exhilarate others over and over again. Even if it's as simple as reading a new book or cooking a new recipe.
So, to the nameless person, thank you! For turning the tables again and giving me joy! Challenge '09: Part II to come tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment