Monday, August 3, 2009

Book It!

Anyone remember "Book It" in elementary school? Let me refresh the memories of those who may have forgotten. In grade school, if you read a certain number of books you would get a gold star sticker to add to your Book It button, which you always proudly wore. And after your button was filled with stars you could go to Pizza Hut for a free personal pan pizza! I ate many free pizzas back then!

Well, we had our first book club night two weeks ago and despite the slim crowd, it was still fun to go through a short series of questions about the book and get others' perspective. I know a few of you are following via blog so I thought I would update you on our next read:



A quick summary: The Help is about a young white woman in the early 1960s in Mississippi who becomes interested in the plight of the black ladies' maids that every family has working for them. She writes their stories about mistreatment, abuse and heartbreaks of working in white families' homes, all just before the Civil Rights revolution.

It has amazing reviews! I can't wait to read it. Next book club Sept. 1st.!

3 comments:

Carissa said...

I can't wait! I ordered mine from the library so I'm just waiting to get word that they have it ready for me. I am reading something else until it comes in but I'm dying to start "The Help"!!!

Joanna said...

I'm not a member of your book club but I am anxious to read this book

Anonymous said...

ohhhh can't wait to read this one. Didn't get a chance to read the other.