Sunday, November 2, 2008

D*I*Y - Halloween Costume

As I've mentioned before, I decided to make Jordyn's halloween costume this year. I scoured the internet for an inexpensive nor typical costume with no luck. The ever so popular tutu costumes were selling on Ebay for $40 to $100 and upward. I'd like to believe that my left brain kicked on saying 'how hard can it really be to make one?' but I think that the accountant in me came out saying 'how much could this really cost?' Either way, it became a challenge that I wanted to conquer.

My total cost to actually make the costume ended up at $32.40! Here's a breakdown of costs:

Red tulle (7 yds) - $8.33
White pom poms (qty 2) - $1.98
Black headband (bought from local boutique but could save money if you wanted to make it yourself) - $8
Black turtleneck bodysuit (The Children's Place) - $7.50
Ribbon for bows/tutu - $4.95
Alligator clip for bow - $0.29
Fabric for applique & fusible interfacing - $1.35 (I didn't use all of the material bought for this part so to be accurate I have rounded off the cost to reflect the materials used)

The only other expenses for this project were the few investment items such as fabric scissors, fabric ruler, and the items that had to be purchased in bulk such as the alligator clips and the fusible interfacing.

In the end, it was a rewarding personal challenge and the beginning of hopefully more DIY projects! As cliche as it is, I learned that if I put your mind to something, even if it is out of your comfort zone, you can accomplish just about anything. And you will probably surprise yourself by doing it better than you expected!

I know people are dying to see how it turned out so here is the first of several pictures!

9 comments:

Allison Yokum said...

Jordyn is the cutest Minnie Mouse ever!!

Stacy and Jason said...

She really is absolutely precious. Nice work there Courtney!

Joanna said...

You did a great job on Jordyn's costume. I am so proud of your left brain for stepping up to the challenge! And Jordyn is for sure the cutest Minnie ever!!

Melissa said...

Great job on the costume!! She's a cutie!!

elisabeth said...

Adorable! Jordyn's hair is getting long!

FarmerFamily5 said...

Jordyn looks Very Cute!! Your photography Classes are paying off. Nice Pic!!

E.Gray said...

so cute , it looks like you conquered and won :) I also tried to find a unique costume and failing, decided to make brinley's and there is something about the final product that you take so much joy in becuase you spent your time and love on it :) great job girl.

The Cross Family said...

I love it!! I told you that you would be able to do it! I really am proud of you for taking the project on and stepping out of your comfort zone. She looks great!

Kerry said...

Jordyn looks adorable, I love the polkadots in the tutu! Makenna was Minnie Mouse last year and I loved the costume. I even tried to talk her into it this year, but she wanted to be Tinkerbell.