Friday, October 24, 2008

Photography I, Class 1

My first official photography class is complete. Wednesday night was the start of our 5 week course. Going into it, I was definitely a little leery. A good family friend, who is also a nationally recognized landscape photographer, was skeptical of the local photography instructors. And since it is just a personal enrichment course at our community college, I had no idea if the course could be taken seriously.

But I was pleasantly surprised. No, I should say that I was extremely satisfied! I learned a vast amount in such a short time. So if the next 12 classroom hours give me as much education as the first 3, then I should be a pro at the end of the course!

The most interesting aspect of the class was the diversity of people. There was a police officer that was part of the CSI unit of the police department who wanted to learn more for crime scene photography. An oil and gas accountant that wanted to use the left side of her brain, a DJ who wanted to offer photography as an additional service, and a colored pencil artist wanting to take better inspiration pictures. And that is just to name a few. But the diversity brought a dynamic to the class that really intrigued me. I can't wait to see what everyone brings for thier first assignment. It will be a look into their personal lives beyond outside appearances.

So tomorrow, I am off to work on my first assignment. I think I am heading to the pumpkin patch for some fall inspiration!

1 comment:

E.Gray said...

awesome girl, i am excited to see what you capture. i love and have always loved taking pictures. I would love to know more about how to do it correctly though and not just how i think it should be. I am very interested to see what you find out.