Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Poll: Potty training

To all my fellow mom's out there, I am in need of some advice. To my surprise Jordyn is showing signs of readiness for potty training. She has gone a couple of time over the past few weeks and today she tinkled on the potty twice! My original attitude was to let her warm up to it and then in a few weeks start putting on the full court press. But I think she might be ready a little sooner than that if she continues to progress.

So here is my dilemma. The preschool that she goes to asks that we do not use pull ups. They say it actually hinders the potty training process by keeping the child too dry. They ask that when we are ready to train and want the school to aid in the training that we send the child to school in panties and send about 5 changes of clothes per day. They will assist with the effort for 2 weeks and if the child does not progress then they ask us to wait for awhile and try again. So I wonder if I should establish the same guidelines at home also.

I am already sick of putting the diaper back on after every time she sits on the potty. So I was going to switch over to pull ups this week. Do pull ups keep the child as dry as a normal diaper? Did you use them when potty training your child? I would love for some advice from my more experienced friends!

3 comments:

Grande Family said...

Court, I think that the pull ups just confuse them. you cannot feel when you are wet, they are just like a diaper. If its the changing the clothes a million times, we just let our kiddos run around with nothing on but undies, even Carsen Elise and it only took a week! Bray had a couple of accidents at night time, but Carsen Elise has yet to wet the bed and she is three... she started around 2years. whatever you do is what will work best for you and your family's needs :) I hope this helps you :)
good luck!!
Lauren

E.Gray said...

Hey girl, I am not a fan of pullups, too pricey for just diapers that dont have to be taped :) They feel no different and dont help feel the wetness. Sometimes they show interest before they are ready to fully commit, so you can test her out but if she doesnt seem to "get it" yet, dont force her and make her not like or to feel pressured to go on the potty. Brinley toyed with it around 2 but peed way too often in her panties and didnt get it, so I waited and did it around 2 1/2 and she was actually ready then. Just did panties and got some panty covers (thick slicky type covers) so if she peed, it wetted her panties but kept it a bit contained so it wouldnt make messes everywhere. Got those are target. Dont sweat nights for a while until she can go through the day telling you and is dry at night in a diaper for about a week. That is the hardest part for them to learn, so just work on the daytime panties adn then she will start to be dry at night and then that tells you she is ready for night panties! :) Just dont stress and when she is really ready it will be easy!

Courtney said...

Thanks for all the feedback and votes! This is very helpful information! Hopefully our process will be quick and painless!