Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Grab your reading glasses

Ladies - It's time to get your book groove on! I spent some time this week reading up on different book club ideas and there are more than you would expect out there. Some of the things to consider are:

- how you will pick your books (i.e. follow a set list, each member picks a book, the group votes on a book, or a common theme)
- where you will meet? and how often? (at someones house, coffee shop, library, etc)
- how will discussions be led? (by a designated "leader" or by the host each month)

I browsed through some of the suggested reading lists on the web such as Oprah's Book Club and another great list I found on About.com. Initially I thought this was the route to go because it simplified the process and there were guaranteed discussion questions to stimulate conversation. As I dug deeper, I found a lot of resources for discussion questions. Click here for a comprehensive list of guides. I realized quickly that I didn't want to lock everyone in for the next 12 months on a specific reading list.

I tried to consider the majority in my thought process and here is the format we can start with. We can see how it goes the first month or two and revise/change as necessary:

1. First meeting in July (gives everyone a little over a month to read the first book) and then again in September. After September we will meet each month during the school year. We can scale back in the summer since everyone tends to be busier.
2. Each month a different person will host. The host can decide if they want to serve snacks or other food items during the session.
3. The host will choose the book for that month and then lead the discussion for that book.

I will send an email out to the people I know are considering doing the book club with a link to this post. If you aren't on the email list, please drop me a comment or email letting me know that you would like to join the fun. After I figure out who is committing, then we can pick a day that works for the majority. Check back in a couple of days. I'm going to work on picking the first book and I will post it before the weekend!

No comments: