Monday, March 9, 2009

Out of my groove

Where to start? I'm gonna have to grease up the fingers because I am feeling a little rusty at this today! I was on a roll this year until the past few weeks. I will begin by explaining the events that have left me wordless lately.

Let's start with last Sunday when Jordyn spiked a 103 fever out of nowhere! On Monday morning I had plans to take her to the doctor and when I woke her up for the day I noticed what looked like a cold sore on the outside of her mouth. She only had one, but over the weekend I had also noticed one inside that I thought was a canker sore. I didn't think much of either becuase Jon and I both get those and we figured she had contracted it from one of us. She had no other symptoms at that time except for the high fever that wouldn't break. When we got to the doctor he took a closer look at her mouth and diagnosed her with a string of the Hand, Foot, and Mouth Virus. He thought she would break the fever soon and improve in the next couple of days.

He was correct, she did break the fever temporarily for it to return on Wednesday again and her appetite for food and fluids was decreasing by the hour. On Tuesday, I hardly got 6 ounces down her (normal is about 16 - 20 oz. per day) and Wednesday I don't think we got her to drink more than 2 oz. By that night, we had an increasing fear that she was going to get dehydrated. So back to the urgent care that night where we waited about 2 hours and finally got out around midnight with a follow up visit scheduled early Thurs. AM. On Thursday, our doctor said she had leasions throughout her entire mouth, down the back of her throat and on her tongue. He advised us to use a syringe to "force" feed her until she would take enough on her own.

Since Thursday she has continued to slowly improve. And I mean slooooooowly! Today I think she drank 6 oz or so of fluids which is a major accomplishment compared to the last week. Her appetite for regular food is improving, but a great idea that came to mind when she wouldn't eat anything but yogurt was to feed her baby food. The texture was easy to swallow and gave variety to her diet.

After missing 3 1/2 days of work last week and Jon being gone over the weekend for a fishing trip, Jordyn and I got lots of quality mother/daughter time. When Jon returned on Saturday evening, I was ready for a little break. But that wish got shot down immediately when he started to get a fever. His fever peaked around 103 on Sunday after a night of non-stop sickness. So Jon has spent the last 48 hours in bed and I was back on duty.

I've never wanted to go back to work so bad!

5 comments:

Stacy and Jason said...

Yuck. I think being the caregiver, especially to a kid that can't tell you exactly what is wrong, is harder than actually being sick. So sorry. Hope you get to rest soon! Grant is home sick today, missing his 3 day of school in a month.

Angela & Brad said...

poor jordy, that hf&m virus can be as bad as strep without antibiotics. my cousin's boys have had it before too :(

sorry to hear about everything. hope everyone gets better soon... for your sake and theirs!

E.Gray said...

gosh girl, that really sucks! I am so sorry to hear she hasnt been doing good, brinley got that hand foot stuff when she was little, it was a fever with just a red rash on her hands, but not as bad as jordans. I hope that jon gets better soon so you can rest, that is exhausting caring for your sick babies, and a sick hubby is sometimes harder :( keep us posted.

FarmerFamily5 said...

Poor Jordyn and Jon and you! Hope everyone feels better soon. I know how you feel about going to work!!

Anonymous said...

Geez, Courtney - that's terrible! I'm so glad you guys are okay. It's scary when the little ones get so sick. When you guys are all better, I'll babysit for you, so you & Jon can go out to dinner.