One month down, 11 more to go! As I tried to decide which "atypical" thing to tackle this month, I realized that I wasn't prepared to move on to another DIY project. I think I need to spread out the more labor involved tasks in order to get more accomplished and see better results.
Some of my other wishes are to start a book club, or just join an existing group, refocus on photography, learn to sew, and the list goes on. But one thing sticks out in my mind this month. It's something that I have been pressing Jon to tackle with me for years, and that is to find a church that we can attend as a family. Several events tend to push you closer (such as a death, the birth of a child, etc) but we have never dedicated ourselves for an extended period. Occasionally we will visit a new church, but we haven't found a home.
I've always wanted to raise my children with a similar mentality that I was raised with. I was lucky enough to have a grandfather as my pastor for many years of my childhood. I experienced so many milestones with him including my baptism, my confirmation, and my marriage. Unfortunately, he has retired, so my children will not have the same benefit but I think Jon and I can give them a solid foundation.
So with that being said, not only am I going to commit, but Jon is jumping on board for this one also! Every Sunday this month (and hopefully many months forward) we are going to try a new church until we find one that fits. This past Sunday Jon used a sick pass for church, but Jordyn and I still went with my grandparents to visit the church where they are members.
If any of you locals have suggestions, please speak up! Jon and I are looking for something with a traditional feel, lots of young couples and children, and a medium sized congregation.
3 comments:
I'm in on the book club!
This one soudns like the most important new start you can make for your family this year. I've always had great luck finding churches that are loving and inviting....although now I'm just grateful to be at the church we all grew up in again :)
I like your challenge. I was a member at Asbury when I lived in Tulsa and I really, really liked it. I attended Life Church for a few years as well and I also liked them. Best wishes on finding your home church!
Post a Comment