Monday, January 12, 2009

It's not as easy as it looks...

Digital scrapbooking! I was expecting it to be significantly easier than what most consider "regular" scrapbooking. My expectation was to find a ton of cute templates on various sites and the only manual labor necessary was a click of a few buttons and voila! But no, no, no, it couldn't be that simple. This is actually going to require more work than I originally thought!

When a research project begins, I have a hard time finding websites that will sum up the subject quickly and easily navigable. But I was in luck today, I found a great website that gives a link and quick description to all the major scrapbooking sites. And it even ranks them to give you guidance instead of randomly clinking on a ton of links that are completely unrelated.
Scrapbooking Top 50 - you saved the day!


Despite a great find today, I always seem to feel like the best resources come from referrals. A few months ago one of my favorite blogs, Hostess with the Mostess, posted an entry about digital scrapbooking which sparked my interest for the idea originally. It featured a site called How Fast They Grow. The idea behind the site is to use customizable pre-made templates all through the website. No purchase of (sometimes pricey) software required. Then you click print, and for $5.50 per page you will recieve a 12x12 cardstock printed page. The price per page is a little high but if you consider the cost of one scrapbook page plus the cost of printing the pictures you probably come close to breaking even. The main advantages that attracted me are 1. the incredibly cute and contemporary designs 2. the ease of use 3. the amount of time it takes which is very minimal and 4. the amount of pictures on each page. You can really showcase your pictures, which is the most important objective in my mind. Here's a few of the template examples:


I'm definitely investing in some of these pages, but I am still up to trying the other types of digital scrapbooking. I just need a little guidance or a lot of time to research.

2 comments:

stroudcrowd said...

Great idea! If it's not easy for you I know I couldn't figure it out. You'll have to show off your new scrapbook at the lake this summer, I'd love to see what you were able to do! Best of luck :)

Angela & Brad said...

have you had any luck with the digital scrapbooking or have you decided on the "old fashioned" way??? i'm excited to see what you find either way ;)