Sometimes I think life would be so much easier without all the technology we have these days. My week began with our home computer crashing and I mean totally crashing! Jon woke up Saturday morning to the white screen of death on our wallpaper notifying us that our computer was infected. What does that mean? I have no idea, but I know he spent most of Saturday trying to start in safe mode and install the latest version of anti-virus software. Finally the computer completely died and wouldn't even start up anymore. My life is on this computer! Pictures, vidoes, documents, itunes, etc. Not to mention that this computer is my office twice a week and this week it happens to be my office all 5 days. So I went into a small panic attack wondering what this was going to cost me and if I would ever see my data again.
Monday I took it over to a computer repair shop and by that afternoon they called me with the diagnosis...malware and corrupt files. They told me they would save all my data, wipe out the computer and start all over. I'd have to reinstall my programs but I would be up and running within 24 hours. I was definitely impressed when I had my computer back in 24 hours and all my data survived. I'm sure some of you "techy" people out there are laughing at me right now, but for a non-techy person this was a lifesaver! What did this set me back? About $160 but way better than dropping a $1000 or more on a new computer. More importantly, I haven't lost my pictures and other precious memories.
Lesson learned: Always make sure you spend the extra dough for anti-virus software and backup, backup, backup! I will be investing in a few large flash drives to secure my data.
No comments:
Post a Comment